Sunday Lunch - Celeriac + Salmon

Monday, July 29, 2013



I just love this time of the year, the days become cooler and the food I long for is warm and nourishing. Inspiration comes from what’s growing in my garden because I am a firm believer in eating in season. This is all I knew when growing up, I thought nothing of being asked to go and pick the broccoli, cauliflower or cabbage for supper while my mother continued cooking. It was so fresh still living, a short walk back to the kitchen and in no time we were sitting down to a delicious nutritious meal.

The cold weather in winter produces such a wonderful array of delicious vegetables, I have difficulty sometimes in deciding what I want to cook. I love my green vegetables and eat them with every meal which includes breakfast, yes breakfast why not.

The celeriac also known as celery root, is a clear favourite of mine. I was introduced to this wonderfully versatile vegetable while living in Brussels . There they use it both cooked and raw. I ate it raw for the first time and I was hooked. I discovered that you could buy it fresh, frozen and prepared as a winter salad. My friend Brigitte would make celeriac remoulade a clear french favourite and it soon became mine. It’s so easy to make and an incredibly refreshing change to the cooked vegetables that I usually prefer to eat when it’s cold.



Celeriac Remoulade

1 medium celeriac 
4 tbsp mayonnaise 
2 tbsp Dijon mustard 
2 tbsp sour cream 
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley

Peel celeriac and cut into a fine julienne using a mandolin or special peeler. Place in a bowl immediately and toss with the juice of half a lemon. Mix together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, sour cream and flat leaf parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then fold into the shredded celeriac. 

If you have problems with eggs I also make it with, 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, 3 tbsp of sour cream. If dairy is a problem then you can use 2 tbsp dijon mustard, drizzle olive oil to taste and the juice of half a lemon, to a mayonnaise consistency, not too thick not to thin.



Baked Salmon

4 salmon steaks
1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
sprigs of dill

Preheat oven to 200 c. Lightly grease an oven tray. Place salmon skin side down, drizzle with olive oil. Cut the lemon into medium slices, then cut them in half. Place 2 pieces of lemon on each salmon steak. Season with salt and pepper.

Place in middle of oven for 25 to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. To serve place a mound of celeriac in the middle of a plate, then place salmon steak on top. Garnish with dill. Serve immediately.



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog Bernadette..recipe looks scrumptious...gorgeous pics..looking forward to more! xxxLou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lou for you kind words of encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed popping in to your blog Bernadette. It's so tastefully set out. Lovely images. There's a real hint of the English garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nic you cant take the english influence away even though I have lived here longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernadette, your Sunday Lunch looks lovely. Your photos are inviting and well thought out, so too the recipe. It looks totally yum, something I must try out whilst the celeriac is still around. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pop in for tea All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger